Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Questioning Their Own Existance

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? If an organization meets and no one cares, does it still matter? That might have been the general feeling in the Taughannock Falls meeting room last night as the SGA reconvened for the first meeting of the Spring semester. A few senators openly questioned their involvement in the group and if any of their time they have given here has meant anything. "What have I actually done?" Its a legitimate question, and one that the SGA may grapple for some time to come. From my observation there was a lot of open discussion in that general meeting, and students seemed energized by the blog and how it seems to openly the floodgates to actual constructive dialog. For those that are satisfied with their doings, and feel complacent, I would like to know if you are still going to feel the same when change arrives, and people start flying by you in productivity.


There was a ton of discussion about these entries and I just wanted to clear a few things up. "I am no Obama." First and foremost. I am not here to stand on a pulpit and to be followed and to get elected. I am simply trying to bring to light certain issues, and inspire people to think critically of themselves and their community. Not surface responses but digging into that part of the brain that would rather not touch controversial issues/thoughts with a 60 ft pole. "I am more like Martin Luther", in the sense that I have a list of general complaints about the establishment and I intend to nail that list to the proverbial front door (but not the real meeting door, because I'd get in a bit of trouble). I do not have to take the reigns and see the change through, but I can damn sure blow the whistle when I find something that is wrong.



My true belief is that one day this SGA will not need a ICWatchdog, and will be running so smoothly that I will not have to do this. But I am sure even if that were to happen, someone else with entirely different principles would arrive to change them back to something else. I do not write this blog maliciously, or with ill will. Only with the hope that this year and next year I can provide some insight to what is going on to people who do not attend meetings, and provide some criticism for those who do.


Onto other topics... It seems as if President Rochon will finally be around this month to introduce himself to the elected student leaders of Ithaca College. If you have any questions for him to answer during the meeting, please post them as a comment. Don't be shy. He has been quiet around campus so far, and I for one would like to know what plans he has for us.



The SGA will once again attempt to take a stab at the shuttle system. I believe most students would like the system, but there is a deep flaw. Everytime the system is proposed, the person who heads the project begins by attempting the re-invent the wheel. They always start from the beginning, and the last two (Former SGA president Aaron Bloom and current E-board member Jeff Goodwin) are attempting to complete the proposal by themselves. What makes more sense; getting something accomplished throughout the semester by yourself in an independent study program, or getting a rather large group (committee??) together, to do the heavy lifting and actually accomplish the project before May 17th? I don't know, maybe I AM JUST INSANE...

I am not going to go into length about the budget in this entry. All you need to know is that the SGA started the academic school year with about $400,000 left in the budget and as of Tuesday that number was down to approximately $21,000. (I'll let that one sink in for a moment). I think it is time the budget committee opens up its book for a serious housecleaning and overhaul. All records need to be placed online, dating back to as far as they can, as well as making all future allocations available immediately online, for all to see. The word is TRANSPARENCY. Something completely lacking in SGA.


One meeting down, and lots of work ahead. Will SGA members continue to question their own existence as a body, or will they take the reigns of their destiny and make a difference? I do not have anything close that might resemble an answer. I am just a watchdog. Be well and be safe. 1

13 comments:

  1. Just a slight correction to your post. This executive board did not begin with $400,000 it began with a little less than $200,000. Through the spring budget process many organizations were allocated funding and some were fully funded. I wish you would ask more questions and at least get the facts straight if you're going to spend so much energy spilling your guts in this blog and not in senate meetings, where you were elected to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well SGA needs to revamp this system. How can an existing e-board be in control of over half of the next years budget. There is no reprecussions for their allocations. They can give as much or as little with no fear because they are leaving. Maybe if the budget committee was not such a secret and opened up its books, I would not make such a mistake. Open up the books, lets see what is REALLY going on.

    And in a side note. Its great the new VP of B&F took the iniative to change the allocation handbok, but on whose authority, and with whose oversight? Why does everyone feel they can do grandiose things by themselves, and not completly brief the student body about these changes. Just changing them, with a mandate to read what I did, is not the same as a detailed description of WHAT you did...

    ReplyDelete
  3. speak up in a meeting...this blog is bogus, just like you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that made no sense. Clearly you have no clue about the purpose of why people are elected on the behalf of a group of people. They are put there to do that type of work. Mind you, his allocation manual needs to be approved before it can be handed out to anyone. Again, ask questions and you will get answers....simple as that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "It's not the Who, it's the What"... Oh please grow a pair of balls, you are just a scared cynical person. You will go far in life for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what have you done as a senator? i think it's legitimate to self-reflect, and it'd be nice to hear from you...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This blog was brought to my attention earlier this afternoon. It instantly appealed to me, and a number of thoughts and ideas formed as I read, both in favor and out of favor with views expressed. I chose to read everything that has been posted so far this semester and organize my thoughts before I posted anything. I feel that all of the things said, save the accusations going on back and forth among various posters, have identified many of the issues with student government at Ithaca which I have observed since coming here.

    I do not wish to list my grievances in full, but rather only a select few. I do not feel that one person should assume the role of Martin Luther with regard to an issue affecting several thousand students. Instead, I would rather see a set of ninety-five theses put forth by the whole of the community and nailed to the door of the Student Government Association with the purpose of affecting change. I suggest that the creator of this blog ask for contributions to such a list to be submitted to the Executive Board of the Student Government Association.

    The principal issue that I choose now to put forth for thought and discussion is about accountability. The Student Government Association, as stated by the group itself, serves “as a liaison between the Student Body and the Administration.” By assuming this position as “liaison”, the Student Government Association has made itself directly accountable to both groups mentioned. The Student Body has the power to decide the voice through which they communicate to the Administration. That voice must convey the thoughts, ideas, and emotions to the best of its ability, or else risk being replaced by a new voice that will not shy away from uttering undesirable remarks. Further more, the Student Body elects the members of the Student Government Association to serve as a physical representation of the people. When the voice fails, the body must step forward. The Student Government Association should not hesitate to plant itself at the doorstep of the Administration when they are denied the recognition deserved. In the case of President Rochon not yet coming to introduce himself to the Student Government Association, the members of the Senate should have extended its hand to welcome the new face of the Administration. At a time of transition, it is appropriate for an organization to assert its authority. It is important that the Student Government Association realizes this and makes an effort to ensure that it receives the respect deserved by the Administration.

    This relates to the other organization to which the Student Government Association has made itself accountable. Again, as quoted by the Student Government Association, the principal avenue of communication with the Administration is “when the Administration is seeking the opinions of students in order to make an important decision about how our institution is run….” To credit the Association, it continues by saying that “there’s much more…than that. We make formal recommendations to the Administration based on things we have been hearing from our peers.” However, respectfully, what does a “formal recommendation” actually do to gain the necessary attention and respect of the Administration? The Student Government Association, as the voice and body of the people aforementioned, is responsible for making sure that the Administration is held accountable to the Student Body. After all, it should be the purpose of the institution of Ithaca College to hold the needs of the Student Body to be the highest priority. If it were not for the Student Body, there would be no Ithaca. The prominent concern of tuition increase is something which has been commented on already here. The Student Government Association must be strongly voicing concern for this. The difficult financial times which have befallen the country has already left many people in dire economic situations. This should dictate the end to the constant annual rise in the cost of higher education which has been ongoing for far too long. Education is an essential need to society now. It seems illogical to make such a basic commodity unaffordable to the masses. Such action creates numerous negative repercussions, and perpetuates issues such as social inequality and the existence social classes. The Student Government Association must be the voice of reason in this recession, and it must therefore speak up to the Administration or face consequences that will affect its “elitist” members, as they have been described in the past, as well as us all. This brings to the forefront the matter of the remaining budget with which the Student Government Association is left this semester. However, for fear of instigating more vicious commentary, I will leave that issue alone at present or for others to discuss.

    Also, for fear of continuing on much longer, I wish to simply conclude that this blog has served its purpose of bringing the issues which face the Student Government Association to light. Now is the time for action. The Student Body must ensure that its voice is heard and presence is felt by the Administration, and it is time for the Student Government Association to step forward and speak up. If not, then action must be taken, but it must be done with common sense.

    Respectfully,

    Thomas Paine

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my first time actually responding to anything on this blog. After reading the post that is above mine I felt compelled to comment. I want to thank you "Thomas Paine" for writing what you wrote because those are my thoughts exactly. However, even though I am a part of the SGA, that does not mean that the student body should not take initiative to come to the table for discussion.

    Being a member of this organization for the past four years, I have seen how the student body does not answer any of the calls from SGA to unleash their concerns. My question has always been how can SGA do its job adequately if the student body won't communicate with us. I for one would consider myself to be very out in the open and inviting to all. However, people never come to us with their concerns.

    Therefore, SGA is left to be creative with what they think or assume the student body wants us to do. Anyone who knows me knows that my mouth is big and that I have no problem speaking my mind. In fact the eboard has had to calm me down many times from saying exactly how I feel. So the issue is not that the SGA does not speak up, it is that the student body seems to not care.

    I am completely open to any conversation that can make this organization better. I encourage anyone to e-mail me, call me (609) 605 - 8274, or stop by the Student Activities Center. I am here and would LOVE to hear about EVERYTHING that concerns you all. I think our eboard is very different from past eboards, because we will drop anything to meet with a peer that says I have some concerns.

    I have been yelled at by my mentors and professors for skipping classes because one of my peers wanted to vent about their concerns about the SGA and the college in general. So I end by saying that, "WE ARE HERE! PLEASE, COME TELL US HOW YOU FEEL." Also, work with us to fix these problems. ICWatchdog and Thomas Paine, feel free to contact me anytime and lets talk about all your concerns, because I really do care. I want to know some new ways that we can reach out to the student body. I do thank you for your energy and hope that we can work together to begin conversation with MANY members of the student body.

    Yours truly,

    Cornell F. Woodson

    ReplyDelete
  9. To Mr. Woodson,
    Your attempts to serve the student body are vailant and commendable, and no one in their right mind could ever take that away from you. But have you ever considered the tactics you have taken are failed, or that SGA cannot connect with the people they are there to server? It's a difficult question, but one that needs real answering. You can hang out in campus center all day trying to get people to to do something, but if that does not work, if outreach does not work, if all the normal stuff does not work, the next question must be 'What do we do next"? Maybe someone else will enlighten us with that answer...

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh no you didn't....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you make a valid point. When I decided to run for SGA, never did I think for a second that I had all the right answers. Never did I think that my plans were foil proof. However, would I did think was that I had the passion to go above and beyond what was expected of a leader. I also thought I could inspire my peers to get involved. Yes, I do feel that I have failed, but not for the lack of effort in trying to get people to see that they have the power and if they would be willing to engage in conversation they could see the change they wish to see.

    I don't have all the answers, which is why I look to my fellow leaders and the student body to offer fresh ideas and tell me what they think could possibly work. No SGA eboard alone holds the answers, but it is the collaboration of the eboard, the administration, and the student body that does. I really appreciate your comment and hope that more people offer up some too.

    Yours truly,

    Cornell F. Woodson

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thomas Paine huh? That is so fitting of a name. The other bad comments were obviously the same person. Chill out. We get it. Your angry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thomas Paine's responses reflect a common problem with SGA discussion: lack of brevity in responses. Discussion becomes embarrassingly slow when people fail to think before they speak. Often good ideas and responses are not effectively communicated when people pad their comments with unnecessary reiterations, rephrases, and general rambling.

    I encourage good discourse but this is hindered when the participants speak for the sake of speaking. Maybe people like to just hear the sound of their own voice?

    -Joey

    ReplyDelete